Sunday, September 14, 2014

Wilford Woodruff and His Encounter With the Prince of Darkness

In 1840, Wilford Woodruff was serving a mission in England. He had tremendous success at the well-known Benbow Farm early in the year, but in the fall, he was in London and was feeling quite a different spirit. Along with fellow apostles Heber C. Kimball and George A. Smith, he encountered great opposition in the city; finding sincere people willing to listen to the preaching of the brethren was almost impossible.


After having labored for about three months in the city with only very limited success, Elder Woodruff recorded the following in his journal on October 18, 1840:

"The prospect in London at that time was the darkest it had ever been in since entering the vineyard; but the Lord was with us, and we were not discouraged. On Sunday we met with the Saints three times at Brother Corner's, read the Book of Mormon, gave instruction, and broke bread unto them. We had a good time, though there were only about half a dozen present. I felt the spirit bear testimony that there would be a work done in London.

"Having retired to rest in good season, I fell asleep and slept until midnight, when I awoke and meditated upon the things of God until 3 o'clock in the morning; and, while forming a determination to warn the people in London and by the assistance and inspiration of God to overcome the power of darkness, a person appeared to me, whom I consider was the prince of darkness. He made war upon me, and attempted to take my life. As he was about to overcome me I prayed to the Father, in the name of Jesus Christ, for help. I then had power over him and he left me, though I was much wounded. Afterwards, three persons dressed in white came to me and prayed with me, and I was healed immediately of all my wounds, and delivered of all my troubles."

This was apparently Elder Woodruff's first personal encounter with the power of evil in such a dramatic way; it must have been very comforting to know that the powers of the Lord were greater than those that opposed him.


(See Matthias F. Cowley, _Wilford Woodruff, His Life and Labors_, p. 130)


Compiled and written by David Kenison

No comments:

Post a Comment