Tuesday, September 9, 2014

The Home Teacher to Joseph Smith

At age seventeen, William F. Cahoon was appointed a ward teacher. His duty like all ward teachers was to visit the members of the Church, ask them certain designated questions and report back to the officers of his quorum. The following was related by William F. upon the occasion of bearing his testimony. He is speaking of the Prophet Joseph Smith.

"Before I close my testimony concerning this good man (Joseph Smith), I wish to mention one circumstance which I shall never forget. I was called and ordained to act as a ward teacher to visit the families of the Saints. I got along very well until I was obliged to pay a visit to the Prophet. Being young, only 17 years of age, I felt my weakness in the capacity of a teacher. I almost felt like shrinking from my duty.

"Finally, I went to the door and knocked and in a minute the Prophet came to the door. I stood there trembling and said to him; "Brother Joseph, I have come to visit you in the capacity of a ward teacher, if it is convenient for you". He said, "Brother William, come right in. I am glad to see you. Sit down in that chair there and I will go and call my family in." They soon came in and took seats. The Prophet said, "Brother William, I submit myself and family into your hands," and took his seat. "Now, Brother William", said he, "Ask all the questions you feel like."

By this time my fears and trembling had ceased and I said, "Brother Joseph, are you trying to live your religion?" He answered, "Yes." I then said, "Do you pray in your family?" He answered "Yes." "Do you teach your family the principles of the gospel?" He replied, "Yes, I am trying to do it." "Do you ask a blessing on your food?" He said he did. "Are you trying to live in peace and harmony with all your family?" He said that he was.

I turned to Sister Emma, his wife, and said, "Sister Emma, are you trying to live your religion? Do you teach your children to obey their parents? Do you try to teach them to pray?" To all these questions she answered, "Yes, I am trying to do so."

I then turned to Joseph and said, "I am now through with my questions as a teacher and now if you have any instructions to give, I shall be happy to receive them." He said, "God bless you Brother William, and if you are humble and faithful you shall have power to settle all difficulties that may come before you in the capacity of a teacher." I then left my parting blessing upon him and his family, as a teacher, and departed.


(Juvenile Instructor, Aug 15, 1892, 28:492-3; and in "Reynolds Cahoon and His Stalwart Sons" (1960), p. 79)

No comments:

Post a Comment