Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Lyman O. Littlefield's Testimony of Joseph Smith's Calling


Lyman O. Littlefield was born in New York in November 1819, and after moving to Michigan, joined the Church with his parents in his youth. Along with his father and older brother, he accompanied the march of Zion's Camp to Missouri when he was only 13 years old. He recorded the following impression of that journey:

"The journey was extremely toilsome for all, and the physical suffering, coupled with the knowledge of the persecutions endured by our brethren whom we were traveling to succor, caused me to lapse one day into a state of melancholy. As the camp was making ready to depart I sat tired and brooding by the roadside. The Prophet [Joseph Smith] was the busiest man of the camp; and yet when he saw me, he turned from the great press of other duties to say a word of comfort to a child. Placing his hand upon my head, he said, 'Is there no place for you, my boy? If not, we must make one.' This circumstance made an impression upon my mind which long lapse of time and cares of riper years have not effaced." (George Q. Cannon, _Life of Joseph Smith the Prophet_, pp. 343-4.)

As Elder Cannon wrote, Joseph's "deeds and words of thoughtfulness were a constantly flowing stream."

Later in life, Lyman Littlefield added this testimony of Joseph:
"The Spirit of the Lord had previously testified to me, in the state of Michigan, that Joseph Smith was a Prophet of God, and when I beheld him at Salt River, where Zion's Camp was resting near Brother Burget's house, the spirit of truth furnished me with an additional evidence of his divine mission. I bear my testimony that he was a Prophet of God." (Lyman Littlefield "Recollections," _JI_ (1892) 27:65.)

Lyman went on to live a long and faithful life, passing away in September 1893 at age 73.



(Compiled and written by David Kenison)

No comments:

Post a Comment