Monday, August 25, 2014

"Brother Rosecrans, Remember I love you."



            The last time I saw the Prophet, he was on his way to Carthage jail.  He and his brother Hyrum were on horseback, also Brothers John Taylor and Willard Richards.  They stopped opposite Sister Clawson's house, at the house of Brother Rosecrans.  We were on the porch and could hear every word he said.  He asked for a drink of water. Some few remarks passed between them which I do not remember.  But one sentence I well remember.  After bidding goodbye, he said to Brother Rosecrans, "If I never see you again, or if I never come back, remember that I love you."

            This went through me like electricity.  I went in the house and threw myself on the bed and wept like a whipped child.  And why this grief for a person I had never spoken to in my life, think of the danger he was in, and how deeply he felt it, for I could see that he looked pale.


Mary Ellen Kimball, , 27 (15 August 1892), pp. 490-491; in Helen Mae and Hyrum Andrus, They Knew The Prophet, p. 182.

No comments:

Post a Comment