Sunday, May 7, 2017

Eliza R. Snow's Faith and Courage During the Missouri Expulsion

ELIZA R. SNOW'S FAITH AND COURAGE DURING THE MISSOURI EXPULSION

The "Extermination Order" was issued by Governor Lilburn W. Boggs of Missouri on October 27, 1838.

The clemency of our law-abiding, citizen-expelling Governor allowed us ten days to leave our county, and, till the expiration of that term, a posse of militia was to guard us against mobs; but it would be very difficult to tell which was better, the militia or the mob -- nothing was too mean for the militia to perform -- no property was safe within the reach of those men.

One morning, while we were hard at work, preparing for our exit, the former occupant of our house entered, and in an impudent and arrogant manner inquired how soon we should be out of it. My American blood warmed to the temperature of an insulted, free-born citizen, as I looked at him and thought, poor man, you little think with whom you have to deal -- God lives! He certainly overruled in that instance, for those wicked men never got possession of that property, although my father sacrificed it to American mobocracy.

In assisting widows and others who required help, my father's time was so occupied that we did not start until the morning of the 10th, the last day of the allotted grace. The weather was very cold and the ground covered with snow. After assisting in the arrangements for the journey, and shivering with cold, in order to warm my aching feet, I walked until the teams overtook me.

In the meantime, I met one of the so-called militia, who accosted me with,"Well, I think this will cure you of your faith!"

Looking him steadily in the eye, I replied, "No, sir; it will take more than  this to cure me of my faith."

His countenance suddenly fell, and he responded, "I must confess, you are a better soldier than I am."

I passed on, thinking that, unless he was above the average of his fellows in that section, I was not highly complimented by his confession. It is true our hardships and privations were sufficient to have disheartened any but the Saints of the living God -- those who were prompted by higher than earthly motives, and trusting in the arm of Jehovah.

(Tullidge, _The Women of Mormondom_, pp. 143-145)

No comments:

Post a Comment