Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Joseph Smith in Richmond Jail

The fall of 1838 was a time of severe persecution for the Saints. They had been expelled from Jackson County and had begun to gather in Far West, Missouri. As their numbers grew there, the non-Mormon residents in the area again began to be concerned; what followed, between election day on August 6 and the end of the year, is sometimes called the Mormon War.


Joseph Smith was imprisoned in Richmond during this time. On November 24, 1838, after about a month in jail, he wrote a poignant and touching letter to his family.

"My dear Emma,
We are prisoners in chains, and under strong guards, for Christ['s] sake and for no other causes. Although there have been things that were unbeknown to us and altogether beyond our control, that might seem to the mob to be a pretext for them to persecute us, but on examination I think that the authorities will discover our innocence and set us free. But if this blessing cannot be obtained, I have this consolation that I am an innocent man, let what will befall me.

"I received your letter, which I read over and over again -- it was a sweet morsel to me. Oh God, grant that I may have the privilege of seeing once more my lovely family in the enjoyment of the sweets of liberty and sociable life. To press them to my bosom and kiss their lovely cheeks would fill my heart with unspeakable gratitude. Tell the children that I am alive and trust I shall come and see them before long. Comfort their hearts all you can, and try to be comforted yourself all you can.

"There is no possible danger but what we shall be set at liberty, if justice can be done -- and that you know as well as myself. The trial will begin today for some of us. Lawyer Rice, and we expect Doniphan, will plead our cause. We could get no others in time for the trial. They are able men and will do well, no doubt. Brother [George] Robinson is chained next to me -- he has a true heart and a firm mind; [Brother Robinson's wife was Sidney Rigdon's daughter], Brother Wight, is next; Br. Ridgon next; Hyrum next; Parley next, Amasa [Lyman] next. And thus we are bound together in chains as well as the cords of everlasting love. We are in good spirits and rejoice that we are counted worthy to be persecuted for Christ['s] sake.

"Tell little Joseph he must be a good boy [6 years old]. Father loves him with a perfect love. He is the eldest -- must not hurt those that are smaller than [he] but comfort them. Tell little Frederick [2 1/2] father loves him with all his heart -- he is a lovely boy. Julia is a lovely girl [7 years old] -- I love her also. She is a promising child; tell her father wants her to remember him and be a good girl. Tell all the rest that I think of them and pray for them all. Br. Babbit is waiting to carry our letters for us; Colonel Price is inspecting them. Therefore my time is short. Little Alexander is on my mind continually [1 1/2 years old]. 

"Oh, my affectionate Emma, I want you to remember that I am a true and faithful friend to you and the children forever. My heart is entwined around yours forever and ever. Oh may God bless you all, amen. I am your husband and am in bonds and tribulation etc.,

"Joseph Smith, Jr.

"P.S. Write as often as you can, and if possible come and see me -- and bring the children if possible. Act according to your own feelings and best judgment, and endeavour to be comforted, if possible. And I trust that all will turn out for the best. Yours,
"J.S."

A 13-day trial resulted in the release of many of the Mormon leaders being held because of insufficient evidence. Joseph and four others were sent to Liberty Jail in Clay County, Missouri, where they were held until the following April; then Joseph was finally reunited with his family and the other Saints in Quincy, Illinois.


(Letter transcribed from original held by the RLDS Church, and annotated by Robert J. Matthews; from an address given at the Utah State University South Stake Center, Logan, Utah; December 9, 1973)

Copyright 1998, David Kenison and LDS-Gems

No comments:

Post a Comment